Thursday, July 10, 2008

God Bless The American Vet

Hello, it has been a great day on the farm. We got a lot accomplished and all is safe and secure. I had some good news about my father who was in the VA hospital over night. He went in because of some burning across his chest. When you are 85 years old anything can happen. But the doctors put a couple of stints in and he is going to be fine.
Thank you LORD!

My dad is a WWII vet. He served in the navy in the Pacific on a destroyer. He just recently has started talking about his experiences. A lot of vet hold all this inside and seem to pay in some cases for it. I read where the WWII vets are dieing at the rate of 1,800 a day. When I look at my dad I am surprised at how old he has gotten. Time has slipped by so fast and suddenly. I am sure other families feel the same. It has been said that these vets are the greatest generation. I think every generation is unique. But I have to admit that the WWII vets did things on the battle field that leaves me in utter awe. You look at the battles they fought and assaults they made and it is over whelming. The D-Day invasion is one among many campaigns that just take your breath away. I just don't know how they did it.

I truly believe that God raises the right people at the right time and at the right place to accomplish His work. And when we see this not happening, then it is time to look at your hole card, for boy oh boy are we in trouble if that happens.

When my dad first went into the hospital, there was a young doctor who checked him out and made conversation with him. They both discovered that they were Christians, and both had been in the military. The young doctor was in the Air Force for 7 years. He asked my dad what branch he was in. Dad said, " he was in the navy in the pacific from 1943 to 1945. "Then that young doctor did something that moved me to tears. He looked my dad straight in the eyes and said, "THANK YOU". Boy was that moment powerful, and moving.

So if and when you come across a vet from WWII, do what the young doctor did, just say THANK YOU. That goes for any vet from WWII all the way to the present.

To all the vets and their families from me and mine, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

Because of them I can say,
Sleep safe, sleep sound my friend.

For all is well down on the farm.

The Old Farmer

No comments: