Saturday, June 28, 2008

Lets Be A Kid Just Once More

Hello,
Its Saturday night and all is quite. I sitting here thinking back to my early years, seems the older I get the more time I spend thinking of the good old days. They always seem good when you are reminiscing and living it all over again. But any way, I was thinking about when my cousins would come to visit and the fun we would have at night. We would spend time caching lighting bugs and putting them into a jar, boy they would light up. We would play hide and seek no matter how dark it was. My city cousins were a bit afraid of the dark, but I always felt safe and secure in the night. I started hunting raccoons with my dad when I was five, and the night just seemed to be my friend. Any way my cousins and I would play till our parents decided it was time to come in and settle down, which means we would give the house a good going over. We sometimes would get a sweet treat of home made ice cream and cookies. They were always the best.

That was the life no worries mate. You didn't care what was happening in the world because our world was all wrapped up in the farm. Growing up on the farm was great. The only thing I missed was not having any one to play with unless, as I stated before, my cousins would come for a visit. I started helping my dad on the farm when I was five. I remember driving the horses while dad forked the hay to build the load in the wagon. We had milk cows and it wasn't long before I was milking cows by hand. I had a grip that was like a vise, all from the hand milking I did. My dad worked afternoon shift in the steel mill, so he farmed in the morning till it was time to go to work. When I was still to young to do things on my own I spent my afternoons playing in the woods and fields. I could be Tarzan and find a grape vine to swing on and run through the woods to save Jane. Or I could be Huck Finn and gather things for a raft trip, which was in the middle of the woods but it was the mighty Mississippi to me. Or I would fashion a bow and arrows and be Robin Hood for the afternoon shooting arrows in the depth of Sherwood Forest. Some times I be the Lone Ranger riding to the rescue of some fair lass. I had the freedom and the imagination to be any thing I wanted to be. I loved those days and the freedom that came with them. For as long as I was being some famous person I was never alone.

Even today as old as I am I still can feel the excitement I felt back then. I still am a kid at heart and love every minute of it. And if you don't believe that you should see me at Christmas time. Some times I think God gave me grand kids just so I would have someone to play with. He knows our needs better than we do and is delighted to give them to us.

If we can put away all the adult hang ups of anger, bitterness, revenge, depression and a big one regret. And just for a little while act like a kid again and just have some pure fun with good doses of laughter. And maybe when no one is looking be a super hero and save the world from the great villain of all time and end up with the fair lady, if you are a fair lady, a fair gentleman. I think a little r&r of this nature would go a long way. Who knows, maybe add a few years to the life we have, may God bless you and yours.

Sleep save, sleep sound my friend.

For all is well down on the farm.

The Old Farmer

No comments: