Monday, August 11, 2008

When We Care We All Win!

Hello, and good morning. Are you watching the Olympics on TV? I sure am and I said I wasn't going to get caught up in it this time.

The thrill of competition can draw you in like a very strong magnet. It got me last night with the men's relay team in swimming. The heavily favoured French with their trash talking members got the blood moving again. And boy that finish by the anchor swimmer. We got the gold, go USA.

There seems to be a sense of camaraderie and togetherness when it comes to competition in sports. I find my self saying things like, we, us, and ours when talking of events and accomplishments. I don't know how other countries act during this time, but in America we have talked like this for most of 388 years. I am going back as far as the Pilgrims.

We as Americans seem to be drawn together in tough times and good times. We are different and you can dance around this issue all you want but in the end you have to see we are different. Not in a bad sense but in heart warming sense.

I can best explain what I mean with an example of a sporting event that happened 15 years ago. My sons were on the cross country team of our local school. We all were at a meet and enjoying the festivities and the race my sons were in. We were rooting them along through the race, finally everyone was at the finish line to shout and clap and cheer. In they come and we were victorious, hurrah! As we celebrated and were ecstatic about there finish other racers were still crossing the finish line to their fans celebrations. When all was said and done every one was happy. But out on the course was a lone runner struggling along. He was not one of the top athletes to say the least but he was trying and faltering a little. People started to gather along the course and root him along, even the runners that had just finished the race. You would of thought he was leading the Boston Marathon and by golly he finished to cheers and hoops and clapping.

You see, that is America. We celebrate our victories and have compassion for those who are struggling. We reach out to the ones in need and celebrate their victories also. Only in America can you find this kind of spirit in such abundance.

Go America and may God Bless.

For all is well down on the farm.

The Old Farmer

No comments: