Thursday, August 30, 2007

Harvesting Blessings

I have noticed the leaves on the trees are ever so slightly turning color. That is the announcement that Fall is around the bend. I really love the Fall and all it's splendor. When I was a young boy I would lie down in the tall grass and watch the clouds passing by. And the beautiful leaves moving on to where ever they were carried by the wind. The cool wind would cause me to burrow deeper into the grass and wonder and dream of heroic things. Oh youth with it's elastic heart and poor memory of defeat, the dreams would always carry the day.

Fall on the farm means it's harvest time. Laying in all the needs of the animals for the Winter. It's a good feeling when everything is done and bins and barn are full. It's a time for counting your blessing and giving thanks. Here is another poem I came across, all is well down on the farm.


Rampaging Old Farmer

Have you ever descended a very steep hill,
Oh my! What a joyous and speedy thrill.
Downward, downward, faster, faster, you run,
Joy, Oh joy, Oh joy, this is such great fun.
Eyes look forward upon the ground, they never flicker,
Faster, faster, you run, carried onward by a pleasing snicker.
If they could see me now,
Unbelievable speed from this old cow.
The bottom looms ahead, but oh my horrible fate,
I just now remembered I forgot to open the gate.

by T.A.C.

No comments: